The Leadership Alliance is a consortium of academic and industry/professional institutions established to address the shortage of underrepresented minorities in graduate school and the professoriate. Together, this consortium has developed initiatives to assist students in making informed decisions at critical transitions along the academic and career pathway. The resulting efforts seek to develop a generation of outstanding minority leaders and role models in academia, the public and private sectors.
Currently, the Leadership Alliance includes thirty-four academic institution members and one associate member from industry. Participation in the Leadership Alliance consists of a yearly series of activities, which provide value-added benefits to each member, including:
- affiliation with a nationally recognized summer research program
- participation in a national research symposium that demonstrates research excellence through student work, provides professional development targeted at critical stages of the academic and research career pathway, and forges the value of diversity within a community of learning
- a network of faculty and administrators at both the undergraduate and graduate level and research professionals from the private and public sectors committed to broadening participation in the academic career pathway
- access to program alumni as they prepare for doctoral, post-doctoral and research career positions
- forum for the dissemination of best practices and shared discussions on issues in higher education, research development, and the diversity of the nation's workforce
- ongoing research and evaluation activities to demonstrate evidence-based outcomes, assess the impact of program activities, and assure continuous program improvement and innovation
The Leadership Alliance's Membership Committee handles all communication regarding membership. It strives to create and maintain a vital consortium through thoughtful consideration of the Alliance's mission, strategic goals and organizational balance.